University term 1 -the good, the bad and the ugly (but mostly good)

So almost half the academic year has gone.... ALREADY. This is scarily fast. On a cold and muggy afternoon, I thought it would be fun to reflect on my first term of university. Which is much more fun than revising. First term was a mixed bag- sometimes I was loving it, and others all I wanted to do was drop out and go home (but really, which fresher doesn't have a melt down every once in a while). I mean, we've moved to a new city, with new people, new routines and no guidance!! Talk about being thrown in the deep end.

But anyway, there's my emotional paragraph over. Here's some stuff I got up to last term- and a few things from the first few weeks of this term... they were too good not to put in!
  • Seen La Fille Mal Gardée at the Royal Opera House (for £10 as well- if you're studying in London sign up to ROH student and thank me later)
  • Been asked whether I'm part of London Fashion Week whilst wearing a Primark bed sheet wrapped up like a toga
  • Sweet-talked my way into a club past the entry time by ranting about how the price of the ticket could buy me a weeks worth of food
  • Been to a talk by the Olympic medical team and Christine Ohuruogu 
  • Been to a recording of Lip Sync Battle UK (still waiting for the episode to air on TV so I can screenshot myself)
  • Attempted to ride Boris Bikes at 3am
  • Went Ice Skating at the Natural History Museum
  • Had a 3 course meal by the runner up of MasterChef at the Hilton hotel
  • Had eggs crushed in my hair, chilli jam licked off my face and various other weird things involving a lot of garlic and mayonnaise in a questionable pub crawl
  • Had 2 months of free Planet Organic drinks and made a shrine of the cups in our kitchen, which the cleaner did not appreciate
  • Went for a run to South Bank and back to have it turn into a midnight sight seeing tour
  • Been to a cereal cafe where they have beds to eat breakfast in bed
  • Been to a boat party on the Thames
  • Been woken up at 4am numerous times by ambulances going to the hospital at the end of my road.... strange how you can get used to the sound of sirens
  • Been on a surprise location sports tour
  • Went clubbing dressed as a Christmas dinner (I was a turkey)
  • Visited a library which has a staircase full of beanbags
  • Tried winter Pimms (not as nice as it sounds)
  • Seen a cheese truck
  • Tried bubble tea (and have been back several times since)
  • Had training for teaching people how to save their baby's life
  • Danced Garba properly for the first time (you know the Indian dance with the sticks)
  • Watched Mean Girls on October 3rd in a lecture theatre in PJs
  • Seen Sadiq Khan and Craig David at the Oxford Street light switch on- and left immediately after and will not be returning next year after seeing how busy it gets
  • Got volunteered to dance in the middle of a freestyle circle the first time I went to a hip-hop class (I looked ridiculous but it was fun)
  • Seen Benedict Cumberbatch filming one of his new movies in our main quad
  • Met people from all over and world and learnt a lot about different cultures... and tried a lot of different food (shoutout to Mishka Kosolapy)
  • Started studying an amazing subject at one of the best universities in the world












That's just a selection of the stuff I've done. I'm incredibly grateful for the experiences I've had so far, and am looking forward to the next few months! Watch this space x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The one with Friends Fest

A Guide To Kolkata Street Food

Bababoom, Islington London