Confessions of a dessert shop employee- my first job!

Am I the only one feeling the January blues right now? I'm in one of those moods where all I want to do is curl up in a beanbag with a cup of tea (I mean, I'm always in the mood for that, but this is a particularly strong desire for it). The cold weather and dark nights have me reflecting over the summer just gone where the weather was nicer (well, only slightly nicer- this is England we're talking about). Reflecting on last summer inevitably has me thinking about the topic of this post.... my first job!

Last summer I had 4 months to kill, so I decided to get my first proper job. The application process was long and mostly unsuccessful, but in the end I managed to get a job at a dessert shop. A DREAM JOB, am I right? Well, not totally. I ended up quitting after 2 months. I think I was just really unlucky with the place I was working at, and in the end I decided it just wasn't worth it (I mean, at minimum wage is it really ever worth it?). But now that I'm unemployed again, what better way to feel better than share my misfortunes with the internet? Here are some of the great thoughts and memories I had during those 2 months....

I think it's a universal truth that customers can be ruuuuudeee. To be honest, I didn't have too many nightmare customers but they weren't uncommon. Honestly, don't they realise people working are humans too? And why can't people tell the difference between whipped cream and ice cream? Yes, I know you asked for ice cream- it's ON YOUR PLATE if you just look at it. New-found respect for restaurant employees.

And don't the other employees realise I'm human as well? The way they expect you to make the food, clean the tables, top up the ingredients and put stuff in the dishwasher all at the same time? You'd think there would be some sort of organisation, but nope, a bit of a mad house.

Also, can we talk about how hot it is in there? Waffle machines, ovens and dishwashers everywhere mean there was NO safe cool area. I can't even tell you how badly my skin broke out and how faint I felt during shifts, especially during that really hot week at the beginning of July.

You'd also think that working in a food place would get you some good tip money. Unfortunately, a pay-before-you-eat and minimum wage combination results in not a lot of money for a lot of work.

And the most important thing I learnt: DO NOT TRUST ICE CREAM MACHINES. Any one seen those scenes in movies where people get sprayed everywhere with ice cream? That was me on multiple occasions. Like seriously. Sprayed EVERYWHERE.

I also acquired more burns in those two months than I have in my life put together. Paaaaaiiiinnn. I have a scar on one of my right knuckles which is a PERFECT circle, which although annoying is a nice bit of geometry on my hand. I feel like it's going to be there forever now- it's been 7 months and still remains

OH, and changing rotas. We got our rotas the Sunday before the week started, and the days we worked changed so it was impossible to plan stuff during the week. And in the last few weeks they bumped up my hours from 20 to 40 a week (with working till midnight days in a row), which killed me. You'd be surprised at how many people want desert at midnight. I was constantly exhausted throughout the whole period I was working. The plus side is I got some gainz though from all those heavy boxes I was carrying.

So I decided that summer employment was not for me this year, but it's okay because I had the time to read and exercise and see friends and travel, which is really what summer is about right? Don't get me wrong, it was a good use of time and I got a LOT of free dessert and discounts, but maybe next time I'll try something a little less demanding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The one with Friends Fest

A Guide To Kolkata Street Food

Bababoom, Islington London