The best German Afternoon Tea in London

Living a 10 minute walk from Kings Cross last year, I walked past The German Gynasium allll the time. After a year of wanting to check it out, my friend surprised me and took me there for afternoon tea- but not just any afternoon tea, German afternoon tea!

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect- I've been all over Germany but it was ages ago and I just remember a lot of meat, so I was intrigued as to what the afternoon tea would be like.

The decor was gorgeous- our table was next to this display, so was perfect for taking photos. 

The waiters and waitresses were so lovely and welcoming, which made the whole experience that bit better. There was a huge selection of hot drinks, and I ended up going for Earl Grey tea, and my friend got peppermint tea. Then they brought out the food and prosecco (an extra on top of the afternoon tea). I don't usually like prosecco, but this was by-far the best I have had. I wish I knew where it was from!



We started with the sandwiches. My favourite sandwich was the atlantic shrimp- it was soooo good and the bread was amazing. The other sandwich flavours were black forest ham, obatzda (regional german cheese) and a sauerkraut one. 
We then moved on to the sweet stuff, and the desserts were definitely the best part.


The Lubecker Nusstorte is something I'd never seen before- marzipan with a short crust pastry base and layers of cream and cake. It had a distinct nutty taste to it and was amazing. 


The gooseberry meringue tart however was my favourite out of everything- the meringue was amazing (so light and sweet) and the filling had so much flavour. The gooseberry was slightly sour which was absolutely perfect to balance the sweet meringue. 



The Apple Strudel was my friend's favourite, bringing back childhood memories for him. It did taste really good, and the vanilla sauce definitely made this dessert. It was also HUGE, I could barely finish mine. 



There was a lot of food in this afternoon tea- we ended up leaving some of the sandwiches because there was too much (plus we wanted to focus on the desserts). 

Overall, it was a really great experience- great service and great food. I will definitely be back to try some of their restaurant food as well, which the people sat next to us were eating and which looked amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The one with Friends Fest

A Guide To Kolkata Street Food

Bababoom, Islington London