Simple churros cake recipe!

Whilst my white chocolate and orange cake has become a classic in our house, I'm always looking for inspiration to diversify my baking. So when my mum asked me to make dessert for a dinner party a while back, I went on search for some inspiration.

After lots of googling, I was torn between baking churros and a cinammon cake- so I decided to combine them! I managed to find a churros cake recipe, and with a few adaptations it worked amazingly.



I adapted the 3-layer recipe from baking mad into two layer as it was a relatively small dinner party, hence why the values are weirdly specific. I was unsure how it would turn out as the churros are baked not fried, and I've never made them before. I decided to make waaayy more than I needed in case I messed up the shape of some of them (which I inevitably did, as well as burning the first batch). But the second batch tasted amazing and you could easily eat the leftover churros on their own. 

The cake turned out perfectly- soft, most and cinnamony. I don't usually like buttercream but I really liked it on this cake, maybe because of the white chocolate it in which complements the cinnamon. Even so, I'm tempted to use a white chocolate ganache rather than icing next time.


Anyway, here is the recipe:

For the cake
227g butter
227g brown sugar
4 eggs
227g self-raising flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1tbsp cinnamon
1tbsp milk

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix and divide into two greased 20cm cake tins. Bake at 190 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cook and make your churros in the meantime.

For the churros
225ml water
225ml butter
1/2tsp vanilla extract
145g plain flour
3 eggs
115g caster sugar
1tsp cinnamon and caster sugar

Put the water, butter and sugar into a saucepan and heat until it is simmering. Take the pan off the heat, then add the flour and mix until it forms a doughy-ball (see the photo below). Put the pan back on the heat for around 1 minute. Take back off the heat and add the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until it forms a paste that you can put in a piping bag. Pipe the mixture into lines on a lined baking tray and bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.

When you take the churros out of the oven, brush them with a bit of melted butter and roll them around in a mixture of caster sugar and cinnamon. Leave to cool.




For the icing
100g white chocolate
168g icing sugar
84g butter
1tbsp cinnamon

Melt the white chocolate in the microwave and leave on the side. Cream together the icing sugar and butter, then whisk in the cinnamon and melted white chocolate. Use the icing to sandwich the two cakes together, top with the rest of the icing and pile the churros on top. And there you have it- a cake that tastes as good as it looks!   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The one with Friends Fest

A Guide To Kolkata Street Food

Bababoom, Islington London